Saturday, July 31, 2010

Maltodextrin is a NO!

So I'm still doing trial and error with the whole food allergy thing.  If you go to a corn allergy website you will find a list a million miles long of all the products that are derived from corn.  At first I was trying to stay away from all of them.  That was overwhelming and frustrating.  Now I am learning which ones seem to cause a reaction and which ones don't.

I have clear evidence now that Maltodextrin is a big NO for me.  I have already learned that I can't use Splenda powder.  I was pretty sure it was the maltodextrin, but not totally.  I have recently been testing two different water flavors that you can add on the go.  One is Aquafusion and the other is Crystal Light PureFitness.  The Aquafusion has Maltodextrin as its first ingredient.  The PureFitness uses evaporated cane juice and stevia.  Well it's official, on the days that I only used PureFitness, no hives.  On the days that I only used Aquafusion, hives.  They both have other ingredients that could possibly be corn derivatives but if those were bothering me, I would get hives on both days.

So yay for me!  This is a big help.  Now I know that corn syrup, cornstarch, and maltodextrin all give me hives.  I'm so happy that more products are using stevia and real sugar.  Now I know which ones to choose, instead of having to skip them altogether.

I'm going to test eggs next.  They were very borderline on my skin test.  Last time I tested eggs, I was having Splenda everyday, not realizing about the maltodextrin.  Maybe I'll be able to take eggs off my list to avoid.  Boy that would make breakfasts a lot easier!

1 comment:

  1. GOod for you. I'm glad you are being able to determine what you can and can't eat!!

    ReplyDelete