Saturday, May 8, 2010

What's eating my basil?

I just put in some basil a week ago. I got 2 different varieties. One plant looks like the typical tall big leaf basil and the other was one I hadn't seen before that has tiny leaves and grows like a bush. Within 3 days of planting the basil, I notice that the big leaf basil is now a NO leaf basil!

What happened? Who's eating my basil? I haven't had any issues with pests so far. My tomato plants are growing beautifully. I planted the basil right smack in the middle of the tomato plants and it was basically raped in the course of 3 days! Poor guy.

So I went searching for answers. I love the internet. I would never have the patience to take on such a venture without it. I just Googled "What's eating my basil?" and quickly found the answer. Even better I found a great blog called The Green Adventures of a City Girl. She had the same problem and listed a variety of organic options that I could try. I decided to try the coffee grounds approach since I had some in the coffeemaker that I had yet to throw into the compost bag. I think it worked. Here are pictures of the basil after the attack. You can see the bushy little basil in the back, doing just fine. Hopefully I'll be posting another picture in a few weeks that shows a nice, healthy plant growing.




1 comment:

  1. If you haven't already found out, the bushy plant is Greek basil. :D

    ReplyDelete