Sunday, May 19, 2013

Freedom and Squashtopia


The girls got a little freedom this morning.  Funny how they stayed so close to their run.  They could have gone into the whole rest of the backyard but just stayed on the hill outside their run.  Do they spend their days longing for the grass on the other side of the wire? 

While they poked around, I planned the squash invasion.  Only three of my squash seeds (yellow straight-neck) sprouted so I decided to go get some transplants.  I picked up some butternut squash and slicing and pickling cucumbers.  I also picked up some sherbet watermelon and mini pumpkin seeds.  Hopefully those do better than the first batch of seeds I put in. I threw in the mini pumpkin seeds and tried again with the pattypan seeds.  I put the watermelon seeds in a different part of the garden.  I've dedicated this entire box to squash. 


They came in 6-packs but I got more than I was bargaining for as each little pack had two or three sprouts in each compartment.  I planted all of the cucumbers in hopes that I will have an abundance for pickling and snacking all summer long.  I planted three of the butternut squash so they'd have room to grow.  Gotta find another place to put the rest.  I already made a little makeshift area for a couple zucchini.  I'm thinking I may have to do the same for these. 


I know I may regret going full steam with all these squash plants.  Experience tells me that even two zucchini plants is one more than anybody needs.  But here goes nothing! 


LET THE SQUASH INVASION BEGIN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment