Sunday, May 5, 2013

Back at it. Now with Chickens!

Well...I got a little sidetracked.  I had a baby.  He's two now.

A lot has happened in the two and half years since I last posted to this blog.  But as I read what I wrote in the About Me section three years ago, I realized that not much has changed at all.  I still love my garden, get inspired by sustainable living, creativity, and people living outside of the box, and am creating the life I want to live on our little piece of land in the Grove.

Our garden is still going well.  That winter garden I talked about planting in 2010 never happened.  I got pregnant and couldn't stomach vegetables.  So I didn't see much of a point.  We finally got around to planting a winter garden this past fall 2012.  It was AWESOME!!!  We planted kale, chard, collards, cabbage, broccoli, and lettuce.

The Napa cabbage was amazing.  I only planted a couple but next year I will make sure to plant much more.  The broccoli was very tasty, much sweeter than store bought.  The most impressive though has to be the rainbow chard.  It's the plant that just keeps on giving.  It's still going strong with all of the new spring plantings arranged around the chard.  I just couldn't bring myself to pull it out when it is still producing so well.  Besides, the chickens LOVE it!


Speaking of chickens....Yep, we got chickens!  

We started with three that we adopted from a family that was moving and just a few weeks later we decided we needed more!  Now we have six:  Cleopatra, Betty, Wilma, Frida, Jade, and Pepa.  They are awesome and although my chores have increased, I am having a great time!  The chickens are actually what brought me back to the blog.  They are an adventure and if my hubby has anything to say, that adventure may continue with rabbits and a turkey too.  My little garden is turning into a little farm!  That's good stuff!








No comments:

Post a Comment